Want to know how we connect your neighborhood to better, faster Internet? Here’s a step-by-step guide to our permitting, construction, and installation process.
You may have heard that GoNetspeed is coming to your neighborhood. We hope you’re excited!
We may be a little biased, but who wouldn’t want to replace their clunky, expensive, and unreliable cable Internet with a state-of-the-art, lightning-fast fiber Internet connection?
- Faster downloads
- Seamless streaming
- Lag-free gaming
- Better customer service
What’s not to love?
But you may also have questions – and we’re here to help. We’ve outlined the basics of network construction from route selection to installation. So when you see us in your neighborhood, you’ll know what we’re doing, why we’re doing it, and what it means for you.
One question we hear a lot from people goes something like this: “We saw your trucks on our street a few days ago, but now there’s no sign of you – are you still coming to our neighborhood?”
The short answer: Yes!
Now here’s the slightly longer one: Before we start, we need to dot our i’s and cross our t’s. That means surveying your neighborhood to understand what resources we need to get the job done.
That may involve:
- Planning an appropriate route to lay the fiber. You may see our engineers physically walking your neighborhood and examining telephone poles.
- Creating a plan that adheres to all laws and regulations. We work with community representatives to communicate our plans and get feedback.
- Applying for local permits: This can be a time-consuming process – in some areas, it can take several months to get permitting in place.
- Coordinating with existing utility companies. If we use local telephone poles, we will work with other local utility providers to ensure we’re all on the same page.
CONSTRUCTION TIME: LIGHTING UP THE NEIGHBORHOOD*
First comes what we call “make-ready work.” This step is where we lay the groundwork for the construction of the fiber network, and you will see activity in your neighborhood.
It may involve marking utility lines and landmarks with spray paint or trimming trees so our teams can stay safe and avoid any interruptions for utilities. Since our fiber is installed on power and telephone poles, we also work with local utilities to make space on existing poles or replace old ones. You may see us marking out for utility anchor locations, if your home is located along a route in which we plan to build that requires work in the public right of way, we will be placing a door knocker with information regarding the dig safe process on your front door.
A common question we hear during this phase is “Do you really have to trim the trees?” We only trim them if safety regulations and guidelines mandate it. Overgrown branches can threaten utility connections and create a safety hazard for our construction teams, so we ensure branches are trimmed according to local guidelines.
You probably want to know how long all this will take.
Well, that depends on a lot of factors outside our control such as permitting. Other factors like the amount of make-ready work and even the weather can slow the process, which makes it difficult to provide an exact timeline.
Keep in mind, when we bring fiber internet to a neighborhood, our team may need to access poles that are between properties. This may require us to enter people’s backyards. When our team does, they will do their best to not disrupt anything and complete their work in a timely manner. This is part of the process to bring a new internet option to your community!
The good news is that once the make-ready work is completed, we start installing the fiber to individual utility cabinets in your neighborhood. Then, we “pre-light” the fiber so it’s ready to be split and brought to your house.
*Please note that the process may vary slightly from neighborhood to neighborhood. Our team follows all local, state, and federal utility construction requirements.
GETTING YOUR HOME CONNECTED
When you’re ready, connecting your home to our high-speed fiber network is a simple process. You may be surprised to learn that it only takes 1-2 hours to get your home connected.
By following these steps and working with a team of our expert technicians, you’ll be able to enjoy super-fast and reliable Internet speeds in no time.
Here’s what you can expect during installation:
- Set up the appointment. During the sign-up process, you’ll schedule an installation appointment. To get started, visit our website to check availability at your address.
- Prepare your home. Before your scheduled installation appointment, please make sure to clear any clutter to provide easy access to the areas where the fiber optic cables will be installed. This will help make our job a breeze and help the process go more smoothly.
- Meet the installation team. When the team arrives at your house, they’ll introduce themselves and get started running the fiber optic cables from the street to your house. You may even see our team doing some pre-work outside your home before your scheduled appointment just to make sure everything is ready.
- We install the modem and router. Once the fiber optic cables have been run from the street to your house, the techs will install your FREE modem and router. The modem translates the data coming through the fiber optic cables into a form your devices can use, while the router distributes the internet connection to all your devices.
- Test the connection. Once everything is installed, the team will test the connection to make sure it’s working properly. If there are any issues, they’ll work to troubleshoot and resolve them.
- Finishing touches. Once the installation is complete, the team will tidy up any loose cables or equipment and give you instructions on how to use your new fiber Internet connection. This might include info on how to connect devices, access the router’s settings, and troubleshoot potential issues.
EXCITED FOR FIBER? LET US KNOW!
Now that you know how our high-speed fiber Internet makes it to your home, let us know why you’re excited to join the GoNetspeed family, or why you’re happy you made the switch. Is it the faster speeds, the high-quality video streaming, or just finally being free from the tyranny of Big Cable?
Connect with us online, give us a call at 855-891-7291, or drop us a note! We’ll be sure to let you know if fiber is available in your neighborhood.